Here’s the rest of what’s happened in the cab the last couple of days.
- Â Got another call from the South Austin Hospital.Â I get there, and there’s this woman there with 5 girls, and a baby in her arms.Â It’s about to start raining, so I help them all get in the car and off we go. The eldest of the girls, who can’t be older than 9, hands me a utility bill and says to me in broken English “we’re going here” as she’s pointing to the address.Â I start speaking Spanish, and change the radio station to one of the Spanish language stations in town and the mood in the car changes from very somber and nervous to a very relaxed and comfortable mood.Â I don’t know how to explain it, but suddenly they all felt more comfortable with riding in the cab and we had a pleasant ride to their home.Â I guess they were nervous about the ride, and my speaking Spanish just made them feel better about leaving the hospital.
- After it started raining, I picked up these hotties from a restaurant downtown.Â They were going to a club downtown, so it was a short ride.Â On the way over, we start talking and they ask me what’s the best way to catch a cab at 2 a.m. in Austin.Â I told them the best way, was to be friends with a cab driver and call him to come get you.Â They seem amazed at my answer.
- I had an interesting conversation with a guy that wanted to be a cab driver.Â He wanted to know, just how much he could pimp out his cab.Â Could he put 22s on it? Could he put LCD screens in the back of the head rests? Could he put a DVD player, an Xbox, satellite TV, etc. Â I dunno where he’s gonna get the money to do all that, but there’s nothing in the contract that says that you can’t do all those things to your cab.
- I get a dispatch to go pick up some people from Midnight Rodeo, which as you can imagine is a kicker bar.Â Anyway, the dispatch said that my customers were being escorted by the police and that the police called for the cab.Â Not a good omen.Â I get there, and these 4 Irishmen get into the car.Â They’re all talking shit to each other, which makes me think that they got into a fight or something.Â Turns out, they asked the police officer to call a cab for them since they didn’t know the number.Â They were amazed at how everyone must’ve driven home drunk.Â They were also surprised that there wasn’t a line of cabs waiting at the bar to pick people up when the bar closed.Â Funny.Â They were surprised that I knew that they were in town for training, what they were training for and who they worked etc.Â I made an educated guess and was right all around.
- The last folks, were these guys that got dropped off at the wrong hotel, and waited for over an hour for another cab (me) to come back out and take them to the right one.Â Dunno why they got out at the wrong hotel in the first place, but what happened happened.
Was a no show day.Â I had, I kid you not, 12 no shows.Â People call for cabs, you show up, but there’s no customer there.Â That’s a no show.Â You’re out money, time and effort.Â Anyway, here’s the deal.
- Dudes came to Austin from New Orleans to party.Â Now, does anyone else see something not quite right with that?
- I took these really scary looking mescans home to the east side.Â They were scary looking and I was extremely happy to get them out of the cab.Â The last one of them out of the car actually started sticking his hand in through the crease in the back seat, saying he was making sure that he didn’t leave anything behind and then started sticking his paws into the pockets that are on the back of the front seats.Â I told him he didn’t put anything in there and to get the fuck out of the car.Â He gave me a dirty look, stuck his dirty, stinky paws into the pocket again, and then got out of the car.
- Oh yeah, earlier in the evening, I drove this really nice couple around while they decided on a place to go.Â They finally asked me where I thought they should go.Â They wanted someplace to go where they could smoke and have a beer.Â I took them to “The Gingerman” and they seemed elated at my choice.
All in all, this was a long night, with a lot of no shows.Â Memorial day weekend, is not shaping up to be a winner.